CHIEF/DR UZO UNEGBU AS I KNOW HIM
By Sir GeoBen Oleru, VP, ORADC.
Umu Orlu, ndewe nu. As you know, on Sunday, June 27, 2021, Orlu Regional Assembly (ORAUSA) holds its general election. On that same day, our own ORADC Emeritus President Chief Dr. Uzochukwu Wilfred Unegbu (Omekannaya) will be elected to the position of president of this great organization. This is a remarkable feat by this young leader, an exceptional milestone attained by ORADC – Isi Obi, and a positive development for our Orlu community and beyond. It goes without saying that Uzo (as many call him and he humbly acquiesces) has commanded a distinguishing presence within ORADC, ORAUSA and beyond with his generosity in service to others. Dr. Unegbu led ORADC well as president, and he is poised to do the same at the national level with ORAUSA. However, with all his great qualities, Dr. Unegbu needs our support and prayer.
My write up buttresses sage responses by some of our comrades about two months ago, following Dr. Unegbu’s declaration of his candidacy for the position of ORAUSA National president. Umunnem, I do add that to date, arguably, Dr. Unegbu is the most qualified candidate to seek this position. He has been involved in many and vital aspects of our organization’s affairs. More on this later.
Meanwhile, let me state that I heartily support Dr. Uzo Unegbu as president of ORAUSA, June 27, 2021.
Long ago, and thankfully, leaders of thought in ORAUSA crafted a leadership succession path that grants the National Vice President greater responsibility. Hence, this position is not for the faint of heart, it is not one of a ‘president in waiting’ n’ onu (by word of mouth); it is a rite of passage, a steeling furnace through which future presidents navigate. Dr. Unegbu has done the needful and more. Now, as I reiterate that Dr. Uzochukwu Unegbu is eminently qualified to be at the helm of the leadership chain of ORAUSA, permit me to lay out a fraction of what constitute his pedigree.
- His humility and sense of brotherhood are qualities that have served him well. He is embracing of sound new ideas. He understands the ORAUSA culture and what makes ORAUSA the most consequential diaspora organization.
- Has served successfully and with distinction as ORAUSA Vice President for four years. Coordinated and chaired planning Committee of ORAUSA conventions.
- Has served as an Associate Medical Director and Medical director of ORAUSA’s flagship Program – Free Medical Mission na ala Orlu. Dr. Unegbu continues to serve as a leader with the mission.
- He has successfully coordinated end of year Homeland Summits na ala Orlu.
Another important aspect is that in matters concerning our community, Dr. Unegbu gives generously of himself. Even with his busy medical practice, our brother devotes a considerable segment of his time to actively participate in matters that concern our community, and further shows his love with financial giving. Supporting his candidacy and assisting him when he becomes president is a way we can give back to our community. Let’s work and pray for his success.
May God continue to look after us all.
– Sir GeoBen Oleru, VP, ORADC.